Laguna Beach is not all sand and sunshine. It’s quite an indiscreet community. Even if you don’t know who you are dating, someone else does. Small town gossip travels through palm trees faster than you can say, “Siri, send a mass message,” and the same can be devastating if you don’t have a bullet-proof sense of humor.
Laguna Beach is comprised of an eclectic group of 23,000 people: Millionaires and beach bums, intellects and brain-fried, beauty and overly sun-kissed. We have transplants from across the globe, and those who have never left home. But, mention dating to any single in Laguna and they all respond with a deep sigh, “It’s hard.”
What do they mean by hard? Here’s their top 6 problems with dating in Laguna.
“Eventually, everyone fucks everyone.” ~ Kraig Blue, Creator
1. Your kids go to school with your ex’s kids (and the kids hold the family secrets).
2. The night-roaming homeless are friends with the elite, and the elite are friends with the artists who are friends with the middle class. No midnight tryst is secret.
3. Everyone knows all the news before it’s published; they just read the local paper to see whether the editor got it right.
4. Your new BFF is BFF with your ex’s ex-girlfriend.
5. You are only as good as your last lover.
“I do believe that sex among friends is perfectly healthy. Sex is sex. Sex is not a device used to trick a partner into a “committed/exclusive” relationship as some women seem to believe. That said, I also believe that sex among friends is high-risk sex and therefore both partners should practice safe sex. After that… let the games begin!!” ~ Kenneth (surname withheld by request), Laguna Beach resident
6. If you get caught having sex on the beach, you will be an urban legend.
My advice for dating in a town where a “night on the town” takes only 10 minutes: Silence is peaceful.