By Udayan Dalal
The artistic nature of Laguna Beach drew me in. After immigrating from Ahmedabad, India, I found my new home. I fell in love with the beach environment, lifestyle and people I met. Capturing the world around me, whether it was sunsets at Thalia, nature landscapes or local wildlife, influenced me greatly and allowed me to develop my artistic abilities.
2011 was a turning point in my life transforming my hobby of photography into a true passion. On a picturesque Sunday, I captured my first abstract image from Eucalyptus Paper Bark Tree on Pacific Coast Highway in front of “Laguna Village”. That image changed my vision. It was a breathtaking moment of self-enlightenment. Nature was talking to me that day through my camera lens. It was an irresistibly compelling feeling in my heart.
From that day on, abstract images started coming to me in various sizes and shapes stemming from Agave, Indian Laurel Ficus, and Eucalyptus trees. I realized simple objects from around the city had profound beauty and depth. Hidden beneath the surface were images of humans, animals and unusual and often unexplainable characters. It was a sweet beginning of my daily photographic journey.
The images I captured gave me an entirely new and different meaning to my life. I started sharing my work with family and friends. I realized that my perception regarding those images, sometimes varied with them. By now, I was feeling that my photographs give different meaning to word “Abstract”.
Nature surrounds us by communicating in sometimes very subtle ways. My passion of finding and capturing nature became instrumental in my photographic journey. I consider myself very fortunate to be able to share what I love with people around me while at the same time, spending quality time with the beauty in our own backyard.
Organic gardening, Om healing and meditation are the other vital parts of my daily life that brings peace and harmony into everything I do. My passion for Photography has helped branch out into new art forms like writing poetry and painting. I have raised two very artistically talented souls in my family and I am very appreciative of the fact that my hobbies, passion and life have become intertwined with nature and beauty I see around me.
Published photographs and Exhibitions:
• Front cover photo in publication “Day By Day” in 1980.
• Front page photos in “Laguna Beach Independent” in 2007.
• Juried Fine art Exhibition at Laguna Beach City Hall in Nov 2012.
• Juried Exhibition at Mission Viejo, CA Library in Nov 2013 and September 2014.
• Juried Exhibition at Saddleback Art League in Mission Viejo, CA in March 2014.
• Juried Exhibition at Orange County Fine Arts in June 2014.
• Exhibition at Rancho Santa Margarita Library (2013-14).
• Ongoing Juried Exhibition at National Art Museum of Sports in Indiana, USA.
• Ongoing Exhibition at Susie Q Gallery at Laguna Senior Center, CA.
• Upcoming Exhibition at Millard Sheets Art Center , Fairplex at Pomona, CA